The Gold Whistle Award
Recognizing Contributions Beyond Sports Officiating
Designed to recognize the efforts of outstanding citizens who also happen to be sports officials, the Gold Whistle Award honors an individual or organization that has made significant contributions to the betterment of officiating.
The Gold Whistle Award recipient must meet the following criteria:
- A candidate may be an individual or organization.
- The NASO board of directors selects the award recipient.
- Consideration is given for:
- Significant contributions to the betterment of officiating.
- A high degree of integrity and ethics.
- Qualities that are held in high regard by the industry.
- Consistent record of presenting officiating in a positive light.
- Exhibiting a “service above self” attitude; public service to officiating, having a motivating effect on others and/or strong community involvement are considered.
- The award can be made posthumously.
Created in 1988 it’s among the most coveted awards in the world of sports officiating, the Gold Whistle is sponsored by NASO and Fox 40 International and presented at the Celebrate Officiating Gala in connection with the NASO Summit.