The Gold Whistle Award
Recognizing Contributions Beyond Sports Officiating
The Gold Whistle Award recognizes outstanding contributions of sports officials, referees and umpires beyond their officiating. The international award is presented annually. Recipients are selected by the NASO board of directors and the Gold Whistle Award Committee.
The Gold Whistle Award recipient must meet the following criteria:
- A candidate may be an individual or organization.
- The NASO board of directors selects the award recipient.
- Consideration is given for:
- Significant contributions to the betterment of officiating
- A high degree of integrity and ethics
- Qualities that are held in high regard by the industry
- Consistent record of presenting officiating in a positive light
- Exhibiting a “service above self” attitude; public service to officiating, having a motivating effect on others and/or strong community involvement are considered
- The award can be made posthumously.
The Gold Whistle Award is among the most coveted awards in the world of sports officiating. The Celebrate Officiating Gala, sponsored by NASO and Fox 40 International, is held each year in connection with the NASO Summit. The Gold Whistle Award recipient is honored at the gala.